BY: MUHAMMAD BIN SULAYMAN AT-TIMIMEE D. 1206 H RAHIMAHULLAAH TRANSLATED BY: Abu Mu’aawiyah bin Kenneth Ingram

If it said to you, Who is your Lord? Then reply saying: My Lord (Rabb) is Allah. If it is said to you, What is the meaning of Lord (Rabb)? Then reply saying: The One Who is rightfully worshipped, The Owner (Al-Maalik), The One

Who all and everything is under His disposal (Al-Mutasarrif). If it is said to you, What is the greatest and most remarkable feat you have seen from His creation? Then reply saying: The Heavens and the Earth. If it is said to you, How do you arrive at this knowledge of your Lord? Then reply saying: Through His signs and His creation. If it said to you, What is the paramount or the most noteworthy which you have seen from His signs? Then reply saying: The Night and the Day and the proof of this is His saying,

Ta’aala: Indeed your Lord (Rabb) is Allah, who created the Heavens and the Earth in six days, and then He rose over (Istawa) The Throne (in a manner befitting His Majesty). He brings the Night as a cover over the Day, seeking it rapidly, and (He created) the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars subjected to his command. Surely His is the creation and the Commandment.[1]Blessed is Allah the Lord (Rabb) of all in existence! Surah A’raf (7):54

So if it is said to you, What is the meaning of Allah? Then reply saying: Allah means the One who has all rights of worship over the entire of His creation. And if it is said to you, Why did Allah create you? Then reply saying: I was created for the purpose of His worship (and His worship alone, i.e. Tawheed, without ascribing any partners to him in any aspect of worship i.e. Shirk). If it is said to you, What is His worship?[2] Then reply saying: His Tawheed[3] and obedience to him (Taa’ah)[4]. And if it said to you, What is the proof for that? Then reply saying: His saying, Ta’aala:. I have not created the Jinn, nor the men, except for My worship (alone). Surah Dhariyat (51):56

If it is said to you, What is the first affair which Allah has obligated upon you? Then reply saying: Total disbelief in Taaghut[5] (everything that is worshipped other than Allah) and Eemaan[6] (faith and belief) in Allah, and the proof of this is His saying, Ta’aala: There is no compulsion in religion. Surely, the right path has become clear and distinct from the wrong path. So whoever disbelieves in Taaghut (everything that is worshipped other than Allah) and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trust worthy handhold that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower. Surah Baqarah (2):256

So if it is said to you, What is the most trust worthy handhold that will never break?

Then reply saying: Laa ilaaha ill Allah[7] (There is no Diety worshipped in the truth except Allah). The meaning of Laa ilaaha (There is no Diety) is negation and ill Allah (except Allah) is affirmation. And if it is said to you, What is it that you are negating and what is that you are affirming? Then reply saying: The negation is a negation of everything that is worshipped other than Allah and the affirmation is an affirmation that all worship is rightfully due to Allah alone without ascribing any partners to Him. And if it said to you, What is the proof for that? Then reply saying: His saying, Ta’aala: And (remember) when Ibraheem said to his father and people: “Verily, I am totally innocent and totally free of what you worship, except Him (i.e. Allah alone) Who created me; and surely, He will guide me”. Surah Zukhruf (43):26-27

And if it is said to you, What is the negation and affirmation here in this Ayah (verse)? Then reply saying: The proof of negation is: And (remember) when Ibraheem said to his father and people: “Verily, I am totally innocent and totally free of what you worship. Surah Zukhruf (43):26

And the proof of affirmation is:

Except Him (i.e. Allah alone) who created me.” Surah Zukhruf (43):27

If it is said to you, What is the difference between Tawheed Ar-Ruboobiyyah (Lordship) and Tawheed Al-Uloohiyyah (worship), Then reply saying, Tawheed Ar-Ruboobiyyah is the actions of the Rabb (Lord), for example: Creating, providing all sustenance and provision, giving life, causing death, sending down rain, causing plants and all vegetation to grow, as well as disposing all of the affairs. Tawheed Al-Uloohiyyah is the actions of the slave, for example: Supplication, fear of His Punishment, hope for His Mercy, dependence and reliance upon Him, turning to Him in repentance, fervent desire, dread, making vows, seeking His Aid and other than this from the different types of worship. So if it said to you, What is your Deen? Then reply saying: My Deen (Religion) is Islam[8
].

It’s foundation and principle comprises two affairs:

Firstly: The worship of Allah alone (i.e. Tawheed) without ascribing any partners to Him, inciting and instigating upon this, basing alliance and friendship upon it, and pronouncing Kufr (disbelief of Allah) upon one who abandons Tawheed.

Secondly: Warning and admonishing against Shirk[9] in the worship of Allah Ta’aala and being staunch upon that, basing enmity and aversion upon it, and pronouncing Kufr (disbelief in Allah) upon the one who commits Shirk.

This Deen of Islam is established upon five pillars: Bearing witness that none has the right to be worshipped in truth except Allah and bearing witness that Muhammad (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) is the Messenger of Allah, establishing the Salah, paying the Zakat, fasting the month of Ramadan, and making Hajj once in a lifetime for the one who has the ability[10]. And the proof of the Shahaadah is his saying, Ta’aala: Allah bears witness that La ilaaha illa huwa (none has the right to be worshipped in truth except He), and the angels, and those who possess knowledge (also bear witness); (He always) maintains his creation in justice. La ilaaha ill huwa (none has the right to be worshipped in the truth except He), The All-Mighty, The All-Wise. Surah Aali ‘Imran (3):18

The proof that Muhammad (SAS) is the Messenger of Allah[11] is His saying, Ta’aala: Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but he is the Messenger of Allah and the seal (last) of the prophets. Surah Ahzab (33):40

The proof of Ikhlaas (sincerity)[12] in worship and the proof of Salaah and Zakaat is His saying Ta’aala: And they were not commanded except to worship Allah alone making the Deen (religion) pure and sincerely for Him alone, and to establish the Salaah (prayer) and to pay the Zakat, and that is the right Deen (religion) Surah Bayyinah (98):5

And the proof of Fasting is His saying, Ta’aala: O you who believe! Observing the Fast (Sawm) has been prescribed for you just as it has been prescribed for those before you, so that you may become of those that have Taqwaa (fear of Allah and keeping your duty to Him) Surah Baqarah (2):183

And the proof of Hajj is His saying, Ta’aala: And Hajj to the house (Ka’Bah) is a right that Allah has over mankind for those that have the ability to perform it and whoever disbelieves, then Allah is by no way in need of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn, and all in existence)! Surah Aali ‘Imran (3):97

The foundations of Eemaan are six: To believe in Allah, His angels, His books, His messengers, The Last Day, and the Qadr (divine decree), the good of it and the bad of it.[13

]

As for Ihsaan (perfection in worship), it is to worship Allah as though you see Him and if you are not able to achieve this then worship Him knowing that He sees you.[14]

So if it said to you, Who is your prophet? Then reply saying: Muhammad bin ‘Abdullah bin ‘Abdul-Muttalib bin Haashim, and Haashim is from the Quraish and the Quraish is from the ‘Arab and the ‘Arab is from the progeny of Isma’eel bin Ibraheem Al-Khaleel (the close friend of Allah) may the utmost peace and blessings of Allah be upon our prophet, Ibraheem, and Ismaa’eel. The homeland of the prophet Muhammad is Makkah and he (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) made Hijrah (migrated) to Medinah.

His lifespan was 63 years, 40 of them were before His prophethood and 23 of them were as a prophet and messenger. He became a prophet with Surah ‘Alaq,[15] and he became a messenger with Surah Muddaththir [16].

And if it said to you, Has he died or is he still living? Then reply saying: He has died and his religion remains until the establishment of the Hour, and the proof is His saying, Ta’aala: Truly, You (O Muhamaad) will die, and surely they too will die. Then on the Day of Resurrection you will be disputing before your Lord Surah Zumar (39):30-31

And all of the people that have died will be resurrected, and the proof is His saying, Ta’aala: From it (the earth) We have created you and unto it you shall return and from it We will bring you out once more Surah Taha (20):55

And whoever denies believing in this resurrection is a Kaafir (one who disbelieves in Allah) and the proof is His saying, Ta’aala: Those who disbelieve claim that they will never be resurrected. Say: Yes! By my Rabb (Lord) you will certainly be resurrected, then you will be informed (and recompensed) for your actions, and that is easy for Allah Surah ***haabun (64):7

And may many peace and blessings be upon Muhammad, his family and his companions.